Phone: +30 2410-684570
E-mail: lanthopo at teilar.gr
Office hours: Wednesday 12:00 - 13:00, Friday: 14:00-15:00
Social Media: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn
See my Google Scholar page for my publications and citations.
Smart City Expertise (indicative):
1. Enterprise Architecture for Digital Cities (http://eadic.teithessaly.gr/)
2. ITU Smart City Focus Group - editor of the Technical Specifications document "Setting the framework for an ICT architecture of a smart sustainable city" (http://www.itu.int/en/ITU-T/focusgroups/ssc/Pages/default.aspx)
3. AW4city workshops in conjunction with the ACM World Wide Web International Conferences (AW4City 2017 in Perth, AW4City2016 in Montreal, AW4City2015 in Florence)
4. Smart City of Trikala (http://www.e-trikala.gr)
Leonidas Anthopoulos is an Associate Professor at the Business School of the
TEI of Thessaly and Director of the Postgraduate Program in Project and Programme Management. Dr. Anthopoulos has IT research, planning and Management
experience with the development and deployment of complex IT projects. At his
previous job positions, as an Expert Counselor at the Hellenic Ministry of
Foreign Affairs in e-Government and e-Diplomacy areas, as an IT researcher and
manager at the Research Committee of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
(Greece), Municipality of Trikala (Greece), Administration of Secondary
Education of Trikala (Greece) and Information Society S.A. (Greece), he was
responsible for planning and managing the development of multiple IT projects
for the Greek Government and for various Public Organizations. Among them it
worth mentioning the Smart City of Trikala (e-Trikala), the SYZEFXIS and
Police-online projects, the central portal for the Hellenic Ministry of Foreign
He is a member of various committees, worth mentioning the ITU Smart City Focus Group, Associate Editor of the IJPADA journal (IGI-GROUP) and editor of book collections. He is the author of several articles published on scientific journals, chapter collections and international conferences. Some of his articles can be found on Government Information Quarterly (ElSevier), Information Polity (IOS Press), International Journal of Electronic Government Research (IJEGR), Transforming Government etc. His research
interests concern, among others, smart city, e-Government, Enterprise
Architecture, Strategic Management, etc.
Representative recent Publications
A) Journal Articles
- Anthopoulos, L. (2017). Smart Utopia VS Smart Reality: Learning by Experience from 10 Smart City Cases. Cities, forthcoming, DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cities.2016.10.005.
- Anthopoulos, L., Janssen, M. and Weerakkody, V. (2016) A Unified Smart City Model (USCM) for smart city Conceptualization and Benchmarking. International Journal of e-Government Research (IJEGR), 12(2), pp. 76-92.
- Anthopoulos, L., Fitsilis, P. and Ziozias, C. (2016). What is the Source of Smart City Value? A Business Model Analysis. International Journal of e-Government Research (IJEGR), 12(2), pp. 55-75.
- Anthopoulos, L. (2016). A Flood Wave Disaster Recovery Model for Under Construction Dam Projects: Findings from Greece. International Journal of Risk Assessment and Management (IJRAM), 19(3), pp. 240-255.
- Anthopoulos, L., Reddick, Ch., Mavridis, N. and Giannakidou, I (2016). Why E-Government Projects Fail? An Analysis of the Healthcare.gov Website. Government Information Quarterly, 33, pp. 161-173, doi:10.1016/j.giq.2015.07.003.
- Giatsoglou, M., Chatzakou, D., Gkatziaki, V., Vakali, A. and Anthopoulos, L. (2016). CityPulse: A Platform Prototype for Smart City Social Data Mining. Journal of the Knowledge Economy (JKEC), 7(2), pp. 344-372 DOI: 10.1007/s13132-016-0370-z
- Anthopoulos, L. and Reddick, Ch. (2015). Understanding electronic government research and smart city. Information Polity, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 99-117. DOI: 10.3233/IP-150371
- Tsolakis N., and Anthopoulos, L. (2015). Ecocities: An Integrated System Dynamics Framework and a Concise Research Taxonomy. Sustainable Cities and Society, 17, pp. 1-14.
- Anthopoulos, L. (forthcoming). Understanding Smart Cities - A tool for Smart Government or an Industrial Trick? Public Administration and Information Technology Series, Springer Science+Business Media New York.
- Beyond Bureaucracy: Towards Sustainable Governance Informatisation. Under development to be delivered by late 2016, Public Administration and Information Technology Series, Springer Science+Business Media New York.
- Government e-Strategic Planning and Management: Practices, patterns and roadmaps. Anthopoulos L. and Ch. Reddick (Eds) Public Administration and Information Technology Series, Vol. 3, Springer Science+Business Media New York, DOI: 10.1007/978-1-4614-8462-2_12.
- Information and Communication Technologies in Public Administration: Innovations from Developed Countries. Anthopoulos L. and Ch. Reddick (Eds). CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, ISBN: 9781482239294.
C) Conference Proceedings
- Anthopoulos, L. and Giannakidis, G. (2016). Task-Based Process Modeling For Policy Making in Smart Cities. In the Proceedings of the 8th ITU Kaleidoscope Academic Conference, Bangkok, Thailand, Nov. 14-16, 2016.
- Anthopoulos, L., Giannakidis, G. and Sakkas, S. (2016). Realizing, Modeling and Evaluating City’s Energy Efficiency: the case of InSmart in the city of Trikala, Greece. In the Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference for E-Democacy and Open Government, Asia 2016 (CEDEM ASIA 2016), Daegu, S. Korea, Dec. 7-9, 2016.
- Paulin, A., Anthopoulos, L. and Adewale, A. (2016). Beyond Bureaucracy VS Smart Government (BBSG 2016): Towards the Ecosystem. In the Proceedings of the 17th International Digital Government Research Conference on Digital Government Research (dg.o’16), Shanghai, China.
- Anthopoulos, L., Janssen, M. and Weerakkody, V. (2016). Smart Service Portfolios: do the Cities Follow Standards? In the Proceedings of the WWW2016 ACM 25th World Wide Web International Conference. April 11, 2016, Montreal, Canada (DOI: 10.1145/2872518.2888618).
- Anthopoulos, L. and Reddick, Ch. (2016). Smart City and Smart Government: Synonymous or Complementary? In the Proceedings of the WWW2016 ACM 25th World Wide Web International Conference. April 11, 2016, Montreal, Canada (DOI: 10.1145/2872518.2888615).
- Anthopoulos, L. and Fitsilis, P. (2015). “Social Networks in Smart Cities: Comparing evaluation models”. In the Proceedings of the First IEEE International Smart Cities Conference (ISC2-2015) in Guadalajara, Mexico, October 25-28, 2015.
Track and Workshop chair, Invited Expert
- Smart Cities and Emerging Topics track, CeDEM Asia 2016, Daegu, South Korea, December 7-12, 2016.
- Beyond Bureaucracy VS Smart Government (BBSG 2016): Towards the Ecosystem workshop, in conjunction 17th International Digital Government Research Conference on Digital Government Research (dg.o ’16), Shanghai, China.
- AW4city 2016 ACM Workshop - Web Applications and Smart Cities: enhancing urban sustainability with web applications. In conjunction with WWW’16: 25th World Wide Web International Conference, Montreal, Canada, April 11th 2016 (with Janssen, M. (TU Delft) and Weerakkody, V. (Brunel Business School))
- Invited Expert at the workshop on setting up a “monitoring methodology for digital entrepreneurship and a digital entrepreneurship scoreboard” at the premises of the Executive Agency for Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (EASME), organised by PwC, CARSA, ESN and IDATE on behalf of the European Commission. Brussels, Sept. 8, 2015 and Oct. 27, 2016.
- Invited Associated Editor of the track “Digital Government and the Innovation in the Public Sector” 25TH EUROPEAN CONFERENCE ON INFORMATION SYSTEMS, which will take place in Guimarães, Portugal, 5-10 June, 2017.
- AW4city 2015 ACM Workshop - Web Applications and Smart Cities: bringing together government, businesses and citizens, In conjunction with WWW’15: 24th World Wide Web International Conference, Florence, Italy, May 18th 2015 (with Janssen, M. (TU Delft) and Weerakkody, V. (Brunel Business School))